Saturday, February 12, 2011

Angry Rant !

Let's talk about good ethics, honesty, and the most overused phrase on the internet.

For instance if I were only breeding pet stock rabbits, and smack dab across the front of my website I had "Quality not Quantity" in big flashing letters. That makes me look like I have great breeding ethics and quality stock. It also says I have no imagination as every other website out there has that exact phrase.

Not everyone sees the same way I do so it's a catchy thing to see on a website. Anyways Lets say I have a few pet rabbits for sale since I'm breeding for the pet market. I am contacted by a person who is new to rabbits and is interested in breeding and showing. They're looking for a trio of show quality rabbits too start with as they believe I have show quality rabbits after reading (Quality not Quantity!). I have no idea what too look for in a show quality rabbit as I'm a hypothetical pet breeder and have never shown a rabbit in my life. So what do I do?

Do I tell them that I'm just a pet breeder and don't breed show quality rabbits, but I would be more then happy to point then in the direction of a breeder that does show? Or do I become a big fat liar because I know this person has no idea what they're looking for and I can pawn off some rabbits on them after all a sale is a sale?

Most likely the latter. And it looks bad. No matter who you are, when you falsely sell a rabbit to someone; more specifically take advantage of a new breeder and sell to them under false pretenses because you can. Not only does it look bad on you, it's hurtful to the person who bought the rabbits, they bought those rabbits on faith that they weren't going to be ripped off, and it really discourages them at a show when their "show quality" rabbits are first off the table and they don't understand why.

All it takes is a little honesty and good ethics. Sure you may not get the sale but you also don't get a bad rap for taking advantage of people.

If you breed for pets, pleaseeeeeeee don't have full disclosure with your buyers that they are PET rabbits. Don't try to pawn off pet rabbits as show quality for an extra buck.

No comments: