Monday, February 28, 2011

Studding out bucks.

I don't do it ever. The simple reason is STD's

Yes rabbits get them the main one is Vent Disease aka Rabbit Syphilis. Of course you can check the doe over thoroughly but you're not going to see anything if the doe is merely just carrying the disease you breed her to your buck then breed a buck to a couple of your does, and the next thing you know all those does have VD.

I once bought a doe pretty thing, she came bred checked her over everything was healthy looking she had her litter. Then the next thing I know her litter starts developing little wart like things on their nose and the corners of their eyes, check the mother and sure as shootin' she's got VD and because her kits are nursing and what not they've got it as well. So I treat them all (It is curable). This was her first litter too, so I can assume the buck she was bred too carried it and gave it too her. Had it not flared up I could have very well bred her too one of my own bucks, and then bred that buck to another doe and had some sort of outbreak before I even realized what was going on.

So I simply don't stud out my bucks because of the risk of catching VD without it even being noticed is there.

Another thing is I don't see why I have to share something I either spent a lot of time to breed (10 years) or spent a lot of money too buy. They belong to me, their offspring have my name on them because it's my work. I don't have to share it. If you want a breeding buy a buck off me.

No comments: