Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Allergies and other excuses.

I browse classified ads a lot, and a huge majority of people getting rid of their animals always have the same few excuses.

1.) Allergies.
2.) Moving
3.) New Baby

Allergies, the dreaded sneezing, itchy eyes, wheezing, and hives. Many people have them, including myself. I'm allergic to the dander on rabbits, the oils in wood shavings, and hay that's been treated to prevent mold (also pumpkin, but I prefer not to talk about that because it's just depressing). I have around 35 rabbits at any given time sure I keep them outside in their own building but I do have a retired doe, and a doe with a litter in my room, in cages with shavings, and they get hay that's been treated to prevent mold. Three things I'm very allergic to, do I care if I sneeze a little more then normal? Have itchy eyes? No, in fact ever since I started keeping rabbits in my room my allergies have become a lot less severe. I can almost make it an entire day at a rabbit show without having to take an antihistamine. Before if I didn't load up before a show I wouldn't be able to breath at all. So automatically giving away your pet because of a stuffy nose is a little bit on the wuss side.

Moving. Where are you moving too where your pets can't come? Mars? Face it most places allow you to keep animals, in fact a landlord cannot deny you rent because you have a pet (it's considered inhumane to the animal). I know numreous people who have moved some across the country who have brought their pets with them. I know people who live in high rises with numerous pets, townhouses, and bungalows. Getting rid of your pet because you're moving is a lame excuse. In fact I think less of people who use it. I managed to move with 4 dogs, and 20 rabbits, to a town without an issue. It's not that hard to do.

New Babies. I do think people who use this excuse are just lazy individuals. You're not the first person with pets to have a baby and you won't be the last, in fact farmers have been looking after animals and popping out babies for centuries without an issue. They don't sell all their animals when they're expecting a new baby. So selling your one dog/cat/rabbit/fish/gopher because you're going to have a baby is not an excuse.

And of course the first thing I think of when I see any of these three excuses is: The person doesn't want to admit they just don't want the animal anymore.

No comments: