Saturday, March 26, 2011

Bad luck.

It seems I've been stricken by bad luck lately.  I lost a doe and her entire litter of 6 thanks to a sneaky dog. And one of my other does has been picking off her babies one by one. At first one dead baby was considered a "It happens sometimes" incident. It was after the 2nd was found dead I began to become suspicious. It was until I walked into the rabbitry and saw her attacking and eating her own kit that it clicked.  So the remaining two kits have been fostered and this doe although this is her first litter will not be bred again. My three strike system is for does with newborn litters, not 2 week old litters. The weird thing is she comes from a long line of excellent tolerant mothers who would do anything for their kits.

So anyways one of the two babies I saved is a charlie. A real charlie as in less then 10% markings on a rabbit out of 2 brokens (a charlie can only be out of 2 brokens). It has no moustache, very thin eye bands, mottled ears and a tiny little dot on it's back. The rest is white. It is the most adorable baby I have ever laid eyes on unfortunately it's not showable and it also happens to be a buck. He'll make someone a nice pet. A faux charlie is a rabbit with less then 10% markings out of a solid and a broken.

So yes bad luck but if things come in threes, I only have one more bout of bad luck to suffer before things hopefully turn around, but I really do hope the bad luck isn't going to be rabbit related.

No comments: