Sunday, March 21, 2010

Righty Vs. Lefty

A good portion of the population is right handed, and would thus pose their rabbits with the head at their left hand, and the back end at their right hand. This is how the rabbit would be then evaluated. When I evaluate a rabbit, I feel the body, I look at it, and 9 times out of 10, I don't look at the right side of the rabbit since being right handed and having the left hand side facing me, that will be the side I evaluate.

So I put this rabbit into 5 shows. 4 Shows it does extremely well. The 5th time the rabbit completely bombs. Upon investigating why, I find out the first 4 judges, like me are right handed therefore will pose the rabbit and evaluate it form the same side I do. The 5th judge, is left handed, and is seeing the rabbit from a different perspective. Remember, you can only feel so much when visualization is your main sense.

This is where the saying "Get my good side" for photographs comes in. Rabbits like people, may have a "better side" because one side, may not be the exact mirror image of the other, and this tends to be overlooked, because lets face it, trying to pose a rabbit with the hand that isn't dominant, is hard. So what can you do? Well you can have a friend evaluate from the opposite side, or you can do it the easy way, place a mirror behind the rabbit and get a good look for yourself. You may be surprised.

No comments: