Friday, January 13, 2012

Everyone makes mistakes right? One of the major problems I have been fighting with the Argente Bruns is the shoulders. Long low shoulders. And squared hindquarters. I have been going at it by culling hard which means I'm processing them and not selling any and breeding good rabbits to good rabbits and it's getting frustrating because of the lack of available genetics has put up a major road block. I have introduced Champagnes into my Brun line as a way to open up those genetics for good shoulders and hindquarters not everyone agrees with this, but since Bruns came directly from Champagne's I'm not hurting the breed any.

Now a made a rather big mistake. Poor Maple Bacon has terrible shoulders and not only that he's on the small side but my sister adores him so he stayed. Now I bred Maple Bacon to Cinderellie (a beautifully typed Brun Champagne cross) and was majorly disappointed they have her butt but they have his shoulders and slow growth rates. So the chances of keeping one of them is slim. However I bred Maple Bacon to a doe and this doe I had completely forgotten was his mother. I normally have no problem linebreeding like this but this case is different. He was fostered with his brother as a newborn to another litter and for some reason I had completely forgotten about it. Now I've taken a giant leap backwards because his mother was bred to Baron to improve on her shoulders and I got Maple Bacon who produces throw backs to his mother's type and now I've just did one heck of a bad line breeding.

Ohh well at least Brandy is due with a litter by Baron and she's one heck of a sturdy doe.

No comments: