Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Grooming short haired rabbits.

Not many people think to groom a short haired rabbit, and often are told "they don't need it" they don't get matted like wooled rabbits, and they don't get wool block either.Well they do. And it's particularly important to groom when a rabbit is molting, removing the loose dead hairs so the rabbit doesn't ingest them while grooming, which can potentially lead to wool block.

My favourite tools for grooming short hair is a pumice stone, a comb, a spray bottle & water, and my own two hands.

What I do is, I'll comb the coat get the hairs all separated and standing up. Then I'll take the pumice stone and pull it through the coat starting at the base of the neck, and working my way down with slow stokes pulling up a bit at the end of the stroke. Going in the direction of hair growth, this removes any dead fur from the top coat.

Then starting at the tail, I'll use the pumice stone and go against the direction of hair growth in short strokes, to remove the dead for from the under coat

Once that is done, I take the comb through the coat again, then mist my hands with water and drag them through the coat to remove all the loose hairs. Then comb again.

If the rabbit is molting really badly, I usually repeat a couple times.

No comments: