Saturday, December 4, 2010

I could have sworn I knew what I was going to write before I signed in, now that I have I cannot possibly remember what it is. So I'll just ramble on a bit until I remember it again.

ohhhh yes Now I remember !

The Silvering gene ! The great debate on the silvering gene. This is kind of really bugging me right now. Every genetic website and genetic wiz I've talked to about it is absolutely irrevocably convinced that the gene is recessive. From what I have witnessed and I'm sure several others have as well, that is definitely not the case the silvering gene is dominant.

Case #1 : Brun X Harlequin the cross resulted in 8 chocolate kits all of which silvered (I have pictures !)

Case #2 : Brun X Harlequin X Satin (1/4 Brun) 8 Kits, 2 black 2 chesnut 2 Jap Harlequin 2 Magpie Harlequin. All 8 Started to silver before they left. I don't have any pictures but I can track down the man I sold them too if need be.

Case #3 : Champagne Netherland Dwarfs. All F1's HAVE silvering. I can provide links if needed.


I could go on but my point is, I think some genetics need to be re-examined before it is stated as the absolute truth.

No comments: