Sunday, October 4, 2009

Purebred Vs Cross Bred

Okay so apparently I don't just have 3 Jersey Woolies does due next month, I have a Mini Rex doe due (Don't ask, I didn't plan on this) becasue out of the cross I'm going to get bad castors, fawns, and smutty reds. Gee thanks Tristyn.

On that note I would like to bring up the topic of breeding cross bred pet rabbits (this goes for any animalas well)
- This happens 99% of the time, when someone is looking for or have bought a cross bred, their first questions are always the same thing:
1.) What breed is it
2.) how big will it get
3.) Does it shed

I'm going to answer these as best to my ability as I can.

1.) It is a crossbred, it could be anything from two purebred rabbits crossed to 67 different breeds crossed, and those crosses crossed to other crosses. So if you specifically want a cross bred, please don't ask what breed it is, because 100% it is not a recognized breed.

2.) That is the thing about cross breds, you can't be sure how big it gets the weight is not a set thing in cross breds, you could get a 9lb rabbit and a 4lb rabbit in the same litter. You can generally tell approximately how large a rabbit will get by the size of it's ears and hind feet, long ears, and long feet in a jr will give you a large rabbit, short ears, short feet a small rabbit. Size is all relative. The thing with purebreds is they are bred to fit a standard, and that standard has weight limits, and unless the rabbit does not have a dwarf gene you can say this rabbit will be under this weight, or it will get up to that weight (in case of larger breeds)

3.) YES. Even Mini Rex shed. Though they shouldn't be constantly shedding. Twice a year is about the average amount of molts per rabbit, summer coat and winter coat (seasonal molting). A rabbit that is constantly molting either has some really bad genetics, or impropper nutrition, usually caused by a lack of fibre, protein, or changes in feed, usually caused by the latter.

So I leave with this note, I raise purebred rabbits, because A.) I love the competition of shows. B.) I can safely tell someone the size of which the rabbit they are buying will get. C.) Because I will get enough sub-standard rabbits out of my breeding, I don't need to cross for pets.

No comments: