Saturday, October 3, 2009

I don't talk about how I keep my rabbits on my website so I'll talk a little about it here.

I use Wire bottom cages, because they are more sanitary then shavings, the waste falls into a drop trays which can be pulled out and cleaned easily, I use stall dry in the trays as litter. The stall dry dramatically reduces the smell of ammonia. I clean my rabbits at least once a week, and the waste either gets put in a compost pile for later use on gardens or to sell, or it gets put right on the garden/lawn. Trays are then washed then filled with stall dry and replaced.

The rabbits have resting mats so they don't have to be on wire, although I do have some who prefer the wire over the mat. The cages themselves are a minimum of 18X24 for growing out juniors (Keep in mind I have dwarf sized rabbits, they are very small) I use 24X24 cages for Sr's, and a Minimum of 24X30 for Doe and litters, and my utility rabbit. I also have large exercise pens outside for the rabbits, so they can get some vitamin D from the sun, eat some grass, exercise, and fertilize the lawn all in one go!

The rabbits themselves are house in a I believe it's 10X12 barn (I haven't actually measured it) that has 2 windows facing East and south, so I get a lot of natural light during the day. I also have a natural sun light bulb. The shed has several vents (including one of those whirly gig thinga mabobbies on the roof) It has been fully insolated, and regulates the temperature very well. It has a cement floor too.

Food- I feed a 17% protein feed, I have found rabbits do not do as well on anything less, especially a wooled breed. I feed them once a day in the evening, when they are most active, and each rabbit gets it's own specific amount of food based on condition, all rabbits are different therefore need different amounts of food. They get unlimited hay, oats, flax, and greens several times a week, we buy them Italian parsley, and dandelions in the winter from our local grocery store when our veggie garden is burried underneath several feet of snow.

They all get handled daily, petted, and talked too. They also have toys in their cages to play with (large jingle balls meant for cats) They have their nails trimmed roughly ever 4 weeks, or when ever needed. The Sr. Woolies get brushed bi- weekly, the Juniors weekly.

I worm my rabbits twice a year in the Spring and in the Fall. I will also buy a bag a medicated feed every few months as a preventitive measure against coccidia.

My does are bred once or twice a year, and never back to back unless the litter is lost which can happen occasionally, babies born on wire can freeze to death even on the hottest day in summer we try to prevent this from happening as best we can but, we can't play God.

I wean babies between 6 and 8 weeks, and while doing so I cut back on the pellets and feed more hay and oats, because weanlinss can, and will gorge themselves. I never ever free feed my does and litters, I find this cuts the chance of weanling enteritis dramatically.

I don't allow anyone in my rabbitry when I'm not there (family members excluded). I live in an area where fences are non existent, and because our proptery backs onto a forest, I keep the door locked at all times when I am not there. I have had an incident of a kit being injured by a neighbourhood kid who wanted to play with the baby bunnies before we had a lock in place. We also have a high population of Red Fox and the occasional loose dog, so locked the door is because it is better safe then sorry.

No comments: