Thursday, September 29, 2011

Diet in rabbits is one of those controversial topics it seems. Some people believe one thing and one thing only and will criticize anyone who doesn't feed the same way they do.

I'm going to post my personal experience with feeding rabbits.

-It is a common belief that rabbits have to be constantly eating. I have found through processing meat rabbits that a rabbit that is fed once a day still has a large amount of food in it's stomach after 24/hr of withholding feed before processing. I feed my rabbits a measured amount of feed once a day they're active, they're healthy, and they're fit. This is what works for me.

-Commercial pellets are cheaper because they're not wholesome enough for rabbits. I'm one of those people who reads the ingredients list on all rabbit feeds whether it's from a farm store, pet store, or grocery store.  I have yet to find a pet rabbit pellet that can compete with the nutritional value of a commercial feed. More often than not I wouldn't touch pellets being sold in the pet market. They never have a decent protein or fibre count and it's full of sugars and filler ingredients that rabbits shouldn't eat. I have also found through processing rabbits that those who were raised on pet quality pellets have disgusting insides (Large amounts of fat, greasy, smelly) where as those rabbits raised on commercial pellets have perfectly healthy insides.

-Rabbit have to eat hay. If you're feeding pellets, rabbits do not have to eat hay. The pellet itself is about 90% hay. I don't feed my rabbits loose hay and I haven't done so in a while. I give them hay cubes on occasion but most just play with them instead of eating them. And guess what? My rabbits aren't dead. They're active, they're healthy, and they reproduce fine. I find hay just makes a mess, it gets wasted, and more often than not it can contain moulds that are harmful to rabbits.

-Rabbits have to have fruits and vegetables as part of their diet. No, just, no. As treats on occasion, sure. As a main part of their diet no.

No comments: